Pet Care Blog

So what important stuff happens over at Atlantic Street Pet Emergency Center? I’d like to think it’s me…Twilight Sparkle, AKA, the hospital cat, blood donor and blog writer!

I was brought into Atlantic Street as a wee kitten with a severely damaged tail by a Good Samaritan. The amazing staff over here nursed me back to health and although I did need my tail amputated, I think looking like a wild Bobcat adds some serious character! Plus, it attracts all the belly rubs.  Well, enough about me and more about that important pet emergency stuff that helps to keep all of yours and me safe!

–  Twilight Sparkle

 

 

Can flea control be toxic?

Can flea control be toxic?

With all of the rain and the cold weather lately, keeping up with flea prevention for your pets may be the last thing on your mind. Using year-round flea control is definitely in your pet’s best interest, but did you know that some types can be life threatening to them?
Mushroom Toxicity

Mushroom Toxicity

We’ve all heard the phrase “when it rains, it pours.” Well, now that the rainy season is upon us, that couldn’t be a truer statement if you discover that your pet has ingested a mushroom. Essentially, 99% of Mushrooms are harmless, but that 1% can prove to be quite deadly if left untreated.
Pancreatitis.

Pancreatitis.

Pancreatitis is an ailment where the pancreas (an organ which aides in the digestion and absorption of key nutrients from food) becomes inflamed. Symptoms of pancreatitis can range from mild to severe.
Meet Sam

Meet Sam

At Pet Emergency Center, we touch the lives of pets and sometimes they touch ours. Sam was brought to us due to unfortunate circumstances and his bright coat and personality immediately brought a smile to our faces.
Microchip: A tiny decision to keep your pets safe

Microchip: A tiny decision to keep your pets safe

One of the easiest ways to help ensure a safe return home, should your fur baby decide to take a journey without you, is getting them micro chipped. Micro chipping your pet is an effortless procedure akin to getting a routine vaccine.
Leptospirosis disease

Leptospirosis disease

As beneficial as water is, when pets drink from a contaminated water supply, it can have some very dire consequences with Leptospirosis being one of them. Leptospirosis is a disease caused by a bacteria called Leptospira, and it’s mainly found in polluted water.
Pet Emergency Center – Then & Now

Pet Emergency Center – Then & Now

Take a trip down memory lane as we look back at how Atlantic Street Veterinary Hospital Pet Emergency Center became the emergency pet hospital it is now!
Surprise! Guinea Pigs!

Surprise! Guinea Pigs!

Guinea pigs, despite what their name suggests, are neither pigs, nor do they hail from New Guinea. Guinea pigs are actually a species of rodent belonging to the Cavy family, and according to history, got their unique name because one used to be able to purchase them for a guinea (a small British coin from the 17th century).
Eh, what’s up doc?

Eh, what’s up doc?

‘Eh, what’s up Doc?’ Many of you may remember a certain rabbit named Bugs Bunny uttering those words growing up, but now it’s time for owners of pet rabbits to be saying them to Dr. Sokoloff, our newest doctor on staff at Pet Emergency Center, who has completed her residency with exotics.
Miracle on Atlantic Street.

Miracle on Atlantic Street.

While many are watching miracles occur on 34th street this holiday season, the owners of a very special dog Mayah, probably feel that they witnessed their very own miracle right here on Atlantic Street…

Photos Provided By