Mushroom Toxicity

Mushroom Toxicity

We’ve all heard the phrase “when it rains, it pours.” Well, now that the rainy season is upon us, that couldn’t be a truer statement if you discover that your pet has ingested a mushroom.  Essentially, 99% of Mushrooms are harmless, but that 1% can prove to be quite deadly if left untreated.

If you discover or even suspect that your pet has ingested a mushroom, calling your veterinarian or the ASPCA poison control is going to be paramount, as the identification of the mushroom needs to be determined. Different mushrooms produce vastly diverse symptoms in pets. While some break down vital organs, others affect the central nervous system, and some less toxic ones just irritate the GI system. A few signs to look for when dealing with mushroom toxicity are:

Bullets 10X10 Excessive drooling 

Bullets 10X10 Vomiting

Bullets 10X10 Diarrhea

Bullets 10X10 Lethargy

Bullets 10X10 Seizures

Bullets 10X10 Jaundice

Bullets 10X10 Weakness

Bullets 10X10 Pale gums

With treatment however, the ingestion of toxic mushrooms can have a positive outcome, especially if done quickly. Emesis (the induction of vomiting) followed by the administration of charcoal to bind any leftover toxins are both particularly vital. That being said, only a small window of a few hours is allotted for this type of treatment, as it must be done before the mushroom has been fully digested.

Poisonous mushrooms aside, this is wonderful time of year to spend it in the great outdoors with your pets. Keeping a close eye out for fungi popping up in your yard, and being observant while out on walks, are two super steps to ensure that you and your furry ones alike, have a happy and safe winter.

 -Twilight

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *